fmriprep: A Robust Preprocessing Pipeline for fMRI Data¶
This pipeline is developed by the Poldrack lab at Stanford University for use at the Center for Reproducible Neuroscience (CRN), as well as for open-source software distribution.
fmriprep is a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) data
preprocessing pipeline that is designed to provide an easily accessible,
state-of-the-art interface that is robust to variations in scan acquisition
protocols and that requires minimal user input, while providing easily
interpretable and comprehensive error and output reporting.
It performs basic processing steps (coregistration, normalization, unwarping,
noise component extraction, segmentation, skullstripping etc.) providing
outputs that can be easily submitted to a variety of group level analyses,
including task-based or resting-state fMRI, graph theory measures, surface or
volume-based statistics, etc.
fmriprep performs minimal preprocessing. Here we define ‘minimal preprocessing’ as motion correction, field unwarping, normalization, bias field correction, and brain extraction. See the workflows for more details.
fmriprep pipeline uses a combination of tools from well-known software
packages, including FSL, ANTs, FreeSurfer and AFNI.
This pipeline was designed to provide the best software implementation for each
state of preprocessing, and will be updated as newer and better neuroimaging
software become available.
This tool allows you to easily do the following:
- Take fMRI data from raw to fully preprocessed form.
- Implement tools from different software packages.
- Achieve optimal data processing quality by using the best tools available.
- Generate preprocessing quality reports, with which the user can easily identify outliers.
- Receive verbose output concerning the stage of preprocessing for each subject, including meaningful errors.
- Automate and parallelize processing steps, which provides a significant speed-up from typical linear, manual processing.
More information and documentation can be found at https://fmriprep.readthedocs.io/
fmriprep is built around three principles:
- Robustness - The pipeline adapts the preprocessing steps depending on the input dataset and should provide results as good as possible independently of scanner make, scanning parameters or presence of additional correction scans (such as fieldmaps).
- Ease of use - Thanks to dependence on the BIDS standard, manual parameter input is reduced to a minimum, allowing the pipeline to run in an automatic fashion.
- “Glass box” philosophy - Automation should not mean that one should not
visually inspect the results or understand the methods.
fmriprepprovides visual reports for each subject, detailing the accuracy of the most important processing steps. This, combined with the documentation, can help researchers to understand the process and decide which subjects should be kept for the group level analysis.
Please acknowledge this work by mentioning explicitly the name of this software (fmriprep) and the version, along with a link to the GitHub repository or the Zenodo reference. For more details, please see Citing FMRIPREP.
We use the 3-clause BSD license; the full license may be found in the
All trademarks referenced herein are property of their respective holders.
Copyright (c) 2015-2017, the fmriprep developers and the CRN. All rights reserved.
- What’s new
- 1.0.3 (3rd of January 2018)
- 1.0.2 (2nd of January 2018)
- 1.0.1 (1st of January 2018)
- 1.0.0 (6th of December 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc13 (1st of December 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc12 (29th of November 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc11 (24th of November 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc10 (9th of November 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc9 (2nd of November 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc8 (27th of October 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc7 (20th of October 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc6 (11th of October 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc5 (25th of September 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc4 (12th of September 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc3 (28th of August 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc2 (12th of August 2017)
- 1.0.0-rc1 (8th of August 2017)
- 0.6.0 (31st of July 2017)
- 0.5.4 (20th of July 2017)
- 0.5.3 (18th of July 2017)
- 0.5.2 (30th of June 2017)
- 0.5.1 (24th of June 2017)
- 0.5.0 (21st of June 2017)
- 0.4.6 (14th of June 2017)
- 0.4.5 (12th of June 2017)
- 0.4.4 (20th of May 2017)
- 0.4.3 (10th of May 2017)
- 0.4.2 (3rd of May 2017)
- 0.4.1 (20th of April 2017)
- 0.4.0 (20th of April 2017)
- 0.3.2 (7th of April 2017)
- 0.3.1 (24th of March 2017)
- 0.3.0 (20th of March 2017)
- 0.2.0 (13th of January 2017)
- 0.1.2 (3rd of October 2016)
- 0.1.1 (30th of July 2016)
- Execution and the BIDS format
- Command-Line Arguments
- Positional Arguments
- Named Arguments
- Options for filtering BIDS queries
- Options to handle performance
- Workflow configuration
- Specific options for running ICA_AROMA
- Specific options for ANTs registrations
- Specific options for handling fieldmaps
- Specific options for SyN distortion correction
- Specific options for FreeSurfer preprocessing
- Other options
- The docker wrapper CLI
- Support and communication
- Processing pipeline details
- T1w/T2w preprocessing
- BOLD preprocessing
- Susceptibility Distortion Correction (SDC)
- Outputs of FMRIPREP
- Contributing to FMRIPREP
- Citing FMRIPREP